3/30/10

Books

Maybe it's the binding, maybe it's the smell of the pages, maybe it's the blood, sweat, and tears poured into each word...who knows?  Why I love books so much is a mystery that is simply embedded into my DNA.  I've loved books and reading since I was 4 or 5 years old.  Fiction, Non-Fiction, and anything in between.  I read a LOT! 

Last year my goal was to read 50 books.  I fell way short.  I only got through 36 books, however, with all the blogs and magazines I read, my word count surely far surpasses that of a 50 book total.  There's just something awesome about picking up a book and having a story come to life completely in your mind.  Ever facet and feature just thriving inside your imagination.  It's powerful.

Currently I am finishing up "The Host" by the illustrious Stephenie Meyer.  Of course, I loved the Twilight Series.  Hello?  Gorgeous vampire, average and ordinary girl, sparkling skin, and tree climbing?  The story had it all.  One thing about Stephenie's books with me, though,  is that it takes me a while to get enthralled in it.  She writes big, long, wordy books and it isn't until about half way through the book that I get totally involved in the story.  After that point, it's over for me.  I'm hooked until the end.

Sometimes when I'm reading a book that's slower for me to get into I think about quitting and moving on to some other talked about sensation.  But, I don't.  I stick to it, because sometimes in stories like that, the very ending ties all of the drawn out contingents together.  Making the entire process worth it.

Books are great, and I'd rather be reading a book than watching TV any day.  Here are just a FEW of my favorites.  Check them out!

Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

The Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman

Rich Like Them by Ryane D'Agostino

The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

Happy for No Reason by Marci Schimoff

Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill

Secrets of the Millionaire Mind by T. Harv Eker

The Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins

1 comment:

  1. I love reading too!! I even got a Kindle from the Man because I read so much and so quickly. Kindles don't really work for that yummy book smell but that's easily remedied by the "Library" perfume I spray in it's case. Yep, there's a perfume made to smell like old books (custom made at the I Hate Perfume store here in Brooklyn). I've read some of those and liked them but I'm like you. It's hard to continue when the book doesn't grab you right away. What're you reading now?

    ReplyDelete